BISCUIT BEGGING....... WITH A CAN OF SORGHUM.......

Most of us have that 'most loved' food....usually, a version or replica of a childhood memory......Mine is a plateful of thin, crunchy baking powder biscuits, split...while hot....then spread with apple butter and 'filled' with a scramble of eggs, red bell peppers, sliced scallions, diced herbs, 2 or three kinds of grated cheeses, chopped cilantro and parsley, and fresh spinach & shitake mushrooms...sauteed in herbed butter.........When I was five, breakfasting with 5 cousins, 5 aunts and uncles, my grandparents and a couple of their friends that usually stopped by on Sunday mornings for some of my Grandmother's delicious cooking......I 'had' only one...and, usually, wished that someone 'wouldn't show up' and I'd have 'another'....and that was still problematic, since my ravenously hungry cousins were 'hawk-eyed' on the platter of biscuits, also..... Since "EVERYONE' wanted the 'extra' biscuit, but were taught to be polite...first offering this largesse to others, first......I was likely to end up on what Southerners called 'the hind tit'.....watching some 'old person' snarf up the tasty treat.......A few times, I remember....after everyone, out of 'good manners' had declined the 'extra' biscuit....Grandpa just tossed it to his pitbull, Rex, who waited, patiently.....so 'undoglike'.....for his reward for submissiveness.....Hey!....I'll 'lay on my belly' too and submit to a tummy rub,...for my favorite morning food...and wag my tail......Once, I recall, I got on 'all fours' and whined, by my grandfather's chair......but only got some ridicule...and Rex, his paws wrapped around Grandpa's ankles....got the treat .....





  • the 'side dish' condiment was Blackstrap molasses.....which was my 'least favorite thing to eat...in the known Universe! My grandmother would 'cut' a piece of the bitterish-sweetish stuff to 'have' with biscuits!.....Aargh.....I'm so grateful for 'app… 
    S

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Utilization of the hand-made 'pitchfork' that a friend made a half century ago in Richard Mafong's metalsmithing class at Georgia State University...............

THE TOUTED LARGESSE OF MEDIOCRITY....